Author Topic: Permit or License For Fishing in Westchester.  (Read 2388 times)

msnger

Permit or License For Fishing in Westchester.
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to fishing, I was wondering if go fishing in salt water in Westchester do I need a permit or license?
thanks in advance.

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Star Member
  • Forum All Star
Re: Permit or License For Fishing in Westchester.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:47:38 PM »
Seems like after Oct 1, 2009 a Salt Water Fishing License is required.
But not now.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

But you still have to watch out for all the regulations:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7894.html

VinnyH

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Forum All Star
  • I need to Fish!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
msnger,
Welcome to the forums. Just to add to your point about being new to fishing, you will need a license to freshwater fish also. The license has been $19. a year but goes up soon to $29. a year. Town halls usually sell them and Bob's Sport & TAckle in Katonah sells them.

Also you need an access permit which is free to be on the NYC watershed property. That link is on my frontpage.

Best Always,
Vinny
http://www.WestchesterFishing.com

Tom

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
Before October 1, 2012 you will need to get a new annual fishing license. The fresh water license is $29/year and if you check the right box on the attached application the salt water license is free. Getting both licenses via the web is fast and easy. See attached.
Tom

https://nyfgisales.appsolgrp.com/fgnyia/html/index.jsp

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »
Before October 1, 2012 you will need to get a new annual fishing license. The fresh water license is $29/year and if you check the right box on the attached application the salt water license is free. Getting both licenses via the web is fast and easy. See attached.
Tom

https://nyfgisales.appsolgrp.com/fgnyia/html/index.jsp

I think it should be mentioned that if you have never purchased a NY State Fishing or Hunting License, you must do so in person at a Sporting Goods Store that carries them,
such as Bobs Sport and Tackle in Katonah, or at your local Town Hall.
Once you have purchased a license you are entered into the DECALS system
which allows you to to purchase licenses online.

mike.com

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »
So true ken.. Lot of people don't know. And go right to the online.

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
I think a first timer can buy online by typing in their drivers license #.

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
No they can't. They need the DECALS Customer ID number which is the first thing
the online purchaee system asks you for. And he only way you can get one is by buying a
license in person first.

"Please verify that the following requirements have been met before proceeding :

You have already made a purchase through DECALS . (you will need your customer ID Number from a previous license.) If a new customer purchasing a hunting or trapping license, you must have qualifying sportsmen education information handy (sportsmen ed certificate or previous hunting license)."

Tom

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »
I posted the computer access reminder for renewing your annual fishing license here since the vast majority of people who visit this site are already fishermen. Of course if you are first time purchaser of a fishing license you have to go to Bob's Sports or your local Town Hall.
Tom

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
I think you can buy it online, see below.

•You cannot make a purchase online or by phone if:

◦You are a resident without a valid New York State driver's license.
◦You are applying for a reduced fee license as a veteran with service-related disability of 40% or more.
◦You are applying for a free license as an active duty military member under the Patriot Plan.
◦You are a first-time hunter or trapper applying for a hunting or trapping license.
•Customers under 16 years old must have a parent or legal guardian assist with online and phone purchases, and validate all information at checkout.
•Allow for 14 business days to receive your license or DMP tags by mail.
•You will receive a receipt of purchase immediately after your transaction:
◦For hunting and trapping: this receipt is NOT valid proof to perform any hunting and trapping activities. You must wait to receive your license in the mail before going hunting or trapping.
◦For freshwater and saltwater fishing: the receipt can be printed and used as valid proof to perform fishing activities until you receive your license in the mail.

According to the above, you can buy just a fishing license as long as you have a valid driver's license.

When you click into the decals sections it says:

"If you are a new customer, click here to register as a DECALS customer" and then you register.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:23:14 AM by Biz-R-OWorld »

Tom

• Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
Biz,
Thanks for the clarification (I think!!!)  I used to get my fishing license at the Town Hall but was tiresome after awhile. Now I prefer the ease of using DECALS.

On a side note: Isn't it interesting that NYS requires more id and verification to get a fishing or hunting license that to vote!!!???

When a state tries to increase the veracity of the voting pool our federal government sues the state for asking for id. This is not a political statement it is a fact.
Tom

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Star Member
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Biz,

Thanks for finding that Biz.
If DEC hadn't buried this rather crucial link on the first page I could have bought
a license online ages ago.
Of course the last time, I remember I telephoned DEC and they took my order over
the phone. The License came in like 2-3 days.
Now with a Lifetime I dont even bother.
I tried to test this but it doesn't work with me because I'm in the system and it pulls up my details asking "Is this You??" LOL

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:46:51 AM by KenH »

mike.com

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »
You need to first go to bobs. Or sports authoritie.. Befofre you can use decals website..