Author Topic: Semi-V or Jon Boat?  (Read 2823 times)

Biz-R-OWorld

Semi-V or Jon Boat?
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »
Which one to get for a reservoir and why? Also, about what size? 

Here's some info to help:

I am a Bass Fisherman, but with a Res Boat, would like to attempt some Trout.  I do like to stand when flipping lures for Bass along the shores....dont mind sitting while jigging in deeper waters....

I want a boat that is good for up to 3 people.  Mostly will be using the boat for just 2 people (myself and 1 other), but would like to know I can bring a 3rd person if I wanted.

From what I read, Jon Boats are good standing, so I was leaning towards a Jon...but then read that Semi-V's are wayyyyy more more stable? so now Im leaning towards a Semi-V, as I want stability/safety....but can I stand in a semi-v ocassionally??

Thanks in advance for advice.

johnjav

Re: Semi-V or Jon Boat?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
a jon boat is good for plugging along the shoreline for bass and will not cut the water easily.  I would def. get a semi v.  Semi-v's are great for trolling and cuts the water so much better.  I stand and fish on my semi-v's and never feel unstable.  I have a 14' semi v and a 12' semi v.  I like the 12' a lot better.  I can fit 3 people on each boat without a problem.  I would go with the 12' semi v.   

Uncle Crappie

• Forum Veteran
  • PLEASE HELP CLEAN YOUR BOAT AREAS THANKS !
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »
Semi v is what I have 12 ft 2 people max 14 ft is good for 3 adults .I can stand on my seats without tipping .I also like Jons and will stand in one but not on the seats the semi v is more money but worth it in the wind .If i had a smaller pond or res i might go with the Jon half the cost.The 12 ft LW SV Polakraft is 118 lbs and is $1500 a 14 ft  Tracker Jon 180 lbs $750 New .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:54:52 PM by Uncle Crappie »

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:54 PM »
The standard textbook thinking is that Jons are good for Bass Fishermen who work the shorelines, weedbeds and shallows, while the semi-v is better for trout fishermern who troll the deep water.
But from personal experience I can state that it's not a rule written in stone. Plenty of Bass fishermen
prefer semi-Vs and plenty of Trout fishermen use Jonboats. Myself included. That said, the semi-Vs handle
better in windy conditions while Jons are lighter and easier to launch and put away by yourself. Also while
the standard Jon is 44 inches wide, there are now 56-60 inch models designed for Bass fishermen who like to stand and cast. Semi-Vs also cost more than Jons but a 12ft semi-v usually handles up to 3 people while most 12ft Jons are for 2, However the extra wide Jons at 12ft are good for 3 passengers.
A 14ft Jon is another option, they are good for 3 passengers, fairly easy to move around, and handle
better than a 12ft because of the extra length. A 14ft semi-v would give you the most room but I wouldn't want to move it around by myself.

Ken H

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:10:39 PM by KenH »

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:29:05 PM »
So I am thinking then a 12' Semi-V....will this be too small for 3 people? Im 5'10" 170lbs, my g/f is tiny, so could we fit a 3rd person?

johnjav

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »
it will be tight, it will also be tight on a 14'.  I would def. go with the 12' semi v, you can fit 3 persons easily but just have to beware when casting.  What res are you thinking? 

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »
Croton Falls...??

KenH

• Global Moderator
  • Forum All Star
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
"So I am thinking then a 12' Semi-V....will this be too small for 3 people? Im 5'10" 170lbs, my g/f is tiny, so could we fit a 3rd person?"

Most 12ft semi-vs have a 3 person, about 600 lb max capacity.

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:09 AM »
Thanks Ken, that should be perfect then.

phishahn

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
3 people in any small boat is room for disaster especially since you might all be casting. 2 people, 14 footer that's all I would do. Forget the jon also,Phish,

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:55 AM »
I think a 12' should be fine for me and my girlfriend...im 5"10 170lb, and shes like 5'3" 105lb.....dont think we need a 14 for just us 2.

el_pescador

• Very Active Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
I have a 12ft wide semi-v that is mostly used w/ 2 people (~220 lbs each.)  Once in awhile we'll have a third (~180lbs) and although it's a tight squeeze it's a doable fishing arrangement for a few hours.  The boat can handle the weight no problem.  The one drawback is comfort given the small amount of usable space in the boat.  We've had 2 people standing to cast without a problem as well.

Biz-R-OWorld

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
Thanks....ended up with a 13' Semi-V Flat Bottom Grumman, perfect for 2 or 3 people..